Talking about beetroot and sweet potato, they are my all time favorite roasted root vegetables not only because of the natural sweetness and health benefits such as vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, iron, B-complex vitamins with abundance of fiber that they contain but also because of the beautiful colors they bring to your table. These two root vegetables compliment each other in a sweet, savory and smoky flavor. Roasted beetroot, sweet potato, fennel salad with orange is full of vitamins and fibre.
Here is the recipe of this beautiful, fresh and delicious wintery salad just for you to try and I hope you will enjoy it as I always do.
This roasted beetroot, sweet potato, fennel salad with orange goes so well with roasted chicken, beef or lamb and make a perfect meal for your winter.
prep time: 15 minutes cooking time: 30 minutes
total time: 45 minutes
- 3 medium red beetroot, tops trimmed
- 1 large orange sweet potato
- 4 navel oranges
- 2 tables spoon lime juice
- 1 fennel bulb, core removed
- ¼ tea spoon roasted cumin seed
- extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- salt and ground black pepper to season
- 1 heaping table spoon of fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven at 200oC Peel beetroots and sweet potato, wash and slice in half moon shapes with 0.3 cm thick. Lay tall the beetroot and sweet potato evenly on a baking tray and roast for 30 minutes
- Thinly slice the fennel and set aside. Peel 3 oranges and thinly slice them into round shape s, discard all the seeds. Squeeze 1 orange to get the juice.
- Heat up a small frying pan and roast the cumin seeds for about 1 minute then use a mortar and pestle to grind the cumin seeds.
- In a large salad bowl, add all the roasted beetroot, sweet potato, fennel, orange slices together then add in the lime juice and orange juice, cumin, parsley and olive oil, season with salt and ground black pepper.