What has been your best winter warmer?
Even though we all know Spring is the best time to eat lamb because the lambs are young and their meat is sweet and tender, we do not have to wait until spring to enjoy lamb. This winter has been so kind to us with lots of sunshine and clear blue sky. I still can not believe how fast time flies and that we are now coming to the end of winter. I have been thinking of what actually has been our best winter warmer? No-doubt, the perfect minted lamb leg roast is definitely the one that has kept us warm through this winter.
Lamb roasts are loved for the natural sweet flavour and tenderness. This mouth-watering minted lamb leg roast recipe will not disappoint you. It is all as incredibly simple to prepare as delicious to eat. Not only that it will incredibly be appreciated by your guests. Don’t wait until spring, get yourself ready and let this keep you warm till we have to bid farewell to this winter.
prep time: 15 minutes cooking time: 60 minutes
total time: 1 hour – 15 minutes
- 1.8 kg lamb leg roast
- salt and cracked black pepper to rub on the lamb
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
- 1 ½ table spoons brown sugar
- 1 bunch fresh round mint, picked leaves or 1 table spoon dried mint
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Using a sharp knife cut away any unnecessary fat. A little fat is fine and keeps your meat moist. Score both sides of the lamb leg with sharp knife, rub well with salt and pepper. Slice the garlic slices inside the cuts of the lamb, place the lamb in a roasting tray and set aside
- In a bowl, place the olive oil, sugar, vinegar and mint and stir well to combine. Pour the mixture over the lamb and give it a good rub. Cover with foil and keep refrigerated for about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven at 200oC (fan forced) for 5 minutes and put the lamb tray in, roast for 45 for medium rare or to 1 hour for well-done.
(After roasting the lamb for 20 minutes, open the oven and lay 1 rosemary sprig under the lamb leg and the other sprig of rosemary on top of lamb and continue to roast)
Tips: Serve with roasted vegetable