This lentil bulgur salad with juicy fruity flavor is a quick recipe you need when you are short on time.
Lentils are a super food and rich in nutrition. These days I have tried to use it a lot more in my daily cooking either combining it with bulgur or rice and meat to create a main course or simply use it in soup or just make salad. This beautiful gift from nature is high in protein and dietary fibre which protects our digestive system. Besides that, it also contains significant amount of folate and magnesium that help to protect our hearts. Lentils are a good source of important minerals and antioxidants and helps to stabilize our blood sugar.
All the ingredients of team up to create a hearty fiber-rich salad. Not only that, the combination of lentils, bulgur with green apple, green pear and pomegranate brings a beautiful natural sweet and sour flavor. They all melt in your mouth beautifully and it is really addictive.
This salad is perfect for picnic as you can also prepare it way ahead before the picnic. You can keep it in the fridge for 2 – 3 days and it will taste even much much better.
I am sure you will love this no exception salad!
prep time: 5 minutes cooking time: 25 minutes
total time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium red apple
- 1 medium green pear
- 1/3 pomegranate
- 1 red redish (optional)
- 3 sterms fresh flat pasley
- 1 cup of bulgur
- 1/2 cup of green lentil
- 1 red onion
- ½tea spoon grounded cumin
- lemon juice of 1/2 medium lemon
- salt, pepper to season
- 2 table spoons virgin extra olive oil for cooking
- 2 table spoons virgin extra olive oil for dressing
- wash the lentils and bulgur separately. Add the lentils in a small cooking pot filled with 3 cups of water and bring to the boil at high heat then reduce the heat to medium and cook until lentils is soft about 15 minutes.
- Add the bulgur in with 1/2 cup of water and bring to the boil, cook for 05 minutes or until lentils and bulgur are really soft then drain well.
- while the lentils and bulgur are cooking, prepare other ingredients by thinly sliced the apple, pear and radish and sliced in juliennes, set a side. wash and chopped the fresh parsley leave and set aside. separate the pomegranate seeds and set a side, finely chop the onion with a hand blender
- Heat up a sauce pan, add 2 tables spoons of olive oil then add the onion in, stir and cook for 2 minutes and then add the lentils and bulgur in, season with salt and pepper, mixed well, cover the sauce pan with lid and cook at medium heat for 7 minutes
- in a big salad bowl, mix the cooked lentils and bulgur with the rest of the ingredients and it is ready to serve.