So we had baked chicken vegetable skewers for tonight.
Having a toddler in the family also means that we have to make sure our meals provide not only what we like to eat but also what we should eat. In order to create a good habit of eating all kinds of vegetables and to add different vitamins as well as fiber in the meals for my little two and half year old daughter, I have always tried to hide the vegetables in a dish in so many different ways from using 3-4 different vegetables in pureed soups or by chopping them and cooked with minced meat, sea food, lentils, rice, cheese, … when she was much smaller. Until she’s able to have the same food texture like me and my husband, we started to use more steam, boiled , grilled and roasted vegetables in our family meals.
Vegetables skewers is a great way not to waste many of the cut vegetables in your fridge. Not only that, this baked chicken vegetable skewers dish will balance your meal by adding more vegetables and reducing the amount of meat. We love this simple-to-cook yet full of flavor dish. My little daughter enjoyed it all any time when I made it. Here is the recipe just for you to try. I hope you will enjoy it like us, too!
prep time: 25 minutes cooking time: 35 minutes
total time: 60 minutes
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3 cm cubes
- 300 gr butter nut pumpkin, cut into 3 cm cubes
- 1 big brown onion / purple onion, peeled cut into triangles, separated
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 3 cm squares
- 4 ears corn on the cob, husks and silk removed, cut in to 3 cm rounds
- 2 big ripe tomato, cut into roughly 3 cm triangles
- 1/3 bunch of fresh basil, leave picked only
- extra virgin olive oil spray
- 8 wooden skewers (pre-soak in water for 10 minutes)
For the marinating sauce:
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 table spoons of lemon juice
- ½ tea spoon of dried rosemary
- Salt, ground black pepper to season
- 4 table spoons of extra virgin olive oil
- In a small pot, over medium high heat, cover the pumpkin with water and bring to the boil then immediately drain and set aside.
- Preparing the sauce for marinating. Mix all the ingredients of the marinating sauce together and mix well.
- In a large bowl / tray, add the chicken in, stir all the sauce into the chicken. Then add all the vegetables and basil leaves in and toss until the chicken and vegetables are coated with the sauce.
- Thread the chicken and vegetable evenly on the skewers. Preheat the oven at 180oC for 5 minutes. Spray the extra virgin olive oil spray on 2 grilling racks and lay the skewers on the racks, spray the olive oil on top of the skewers then grill at 180oC for 35 minutes.